Shops, nightlife and restaurants are returning to the Blackstone District in the south - in central Omaha - and young professionals looking to move to the trendy neighborhood are looking for a new home in the heart of downtown. The city of Omaha is in high demand - downtown, combined with population growth, is driving development in the rural western parts of the county. What was once agricultural land is now being replaced by a mix of residential, commercial, and industrial development, as well as a variety of retail and office buildings.
The first inhabitants of the area were Native Americans, while the city of Omaha was founded by Europeans - Americans of Council Bluffs. When the Kansas - Nebraska Act of 1854 opened this area to settlement, Kanesville had become the site where a group of entrepreneurs had founded the City of Omaha and the Nebraska Territory, which became the largest city in the state of Nebraska and the second largest in North America. The promoters wanted the capital of this newly created territory to be directly above the Missouri River, in part to influence at least the builders of a then planned transcontinental railway that would lay its tracks through the new city.
The construction of the line from 1865 to 1869 was secured, and more railroads were built through Omaha, which lost its capital city status to Lincoln after Nebraska joined the Union in 1867.
The construction of additional Trans-Missouri lines expanded Omaha's connections to the Plains and West, and expanded its commercial sector into a service area for the Union Pacific. This connection enabled Omaha to become a smelting center and contributed to the development of Omaha as a major industrial center in the United States and the world.
In 1955, Omaha was one of the leading livestock markets in the United States and the world's leading meat packaging and processing center. Between 1967 and 1976, a combination of economic downturns in Omaha and an increase in meat imports from the US led to a sharp decline in the local packaging industry. The city remained an innovator in food processing, but the warehouse closed in 1999, and marketing changes contributed to the decline of Omaha's role as a major meat processing location. Steaks have survived as an Omaha icon, and meat packaging remains an important part of the local economy.
In 1888, a traffic bridge connected Omaha and Council Bluffs, and an electric tram was established to further integrate the metropolitan region that developed on both sides of the Missouri. The railroad now connects the council's bluffs with Chicago, but the future of both communities as railroad centers was secured by the construction of a railroad line from Omaha to Omaha in the early 20th century.
By the 1880s, the population of Omaha had tripled, and the meat packs that power the Magic City and southern Omaha had more than tripled. The snowstorm of 1888, followed by a series of drought years and a national depression, halted population growth. Hard times in the 1890s halted the boom, but the snowstorms of 1888 and 1889, as well as a series of droughts in 1891 and 1892, halved population growth.
Westbound Mormons spent the winter of 1846-47 in a camp they called winter quarters, later called Florence, and later annexed Omaha. A trading post for Indian authorities and missions in the early 1820s was not far south of Omaha, and because it was on Indian soil, the Mormons had to make their leap at that time.
The military presence at the base has helped the economy of the Omaha area and the economic development of Sarpy County southwest of Omaha. In 1945, the plant was closed, and in 1948, the Cold War led to the closure of all US military bases in the United States. However, it was considered crucial for American defense and in 1946 the plant was closed and closed again.
The initiative created mixed-use development and a walkable neighborhood that drew residents to previously neglected areas. For example, there have been recent mixed-use developments that have been taken to revitalize once-lively but now neglected neighborhoods.
O is known as Omaha Bus Rapid Transit (ORBT), and the system is expected to be operational in 2020. The routes provide a fast-through service from downtown Omaha to the University of Nebraska - Omaha, Omaha Medical Center and Omaha International Airport.
When Mormons invaded the area in 1846, Kanesville was renamed Council Bluffs in 1853 and Omaha was founded in 1854. While the Mormon supremacy in the church died, the town remained a small community of about 1,000 people and a town hall.
This capital was crucial to Omaha's early development and contributed to its growing status as a major city. Moreover, its proximity to the Platte Valley made it a natural landing site for the US Army Corps of Engineers and other military personnel.